Hemp oil for dog skin health is effective because of hemp oil’s unique properties compared to that of other oils and treatments. Dogs experience a range of skin problems causing them to itch, lick and bite certain parts of their body. These behaviors coupled with sores and dry skin will tell you it’s time to investigate a potential skin issue with your dog. Common skin problems in dogs range from allergies to infections and require treatment and prevention for relief. Hemp oil is the best antidote for dog skin problems.
Hemp oil is derived from the hemp plant, cannabis sativa, and is a nutritional supplement. It boasts a myriad of therapeutic properties next to its cousin, CBD, and is a popular treatment for many common dog ailments from seizures to cancer. While not all hemp oil for dogs will contain CBD, the highest quality and most potent hemp oil for dogs will.
Hemp oil for dog skin problems
Hemp oil has been shown to treat and prevent skin problems in dogs ranging from acne, dry nose, eczema, and dandruff to shedding. Hemp oil contains fatty acids, phospholipids, and antioxidants that powerfully support the mammalian body. By increasing the levels of essential fatty acids in the skin, hemp oil relieves itchy and dry skin, promotes overall skin health and reduces the likelihood of developing skin disorders in the long run.
The compounds found in hemp oil that best support dog skin health are:
- Gamma linolenic acid (GLA) - It is not uncommon for dogs to have a deficit of GLA in their bodies. A deficit in this essential acid can lead to allergies and skin disorders. Hemp oil restores GLA levels and thus restores dogs’ skin, coat and hair.
- Omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids - A synergistic ratio of these fatty acids in the body helps to manage chronic inflammation which can lead to allergies and skin disorders (as well as many other diseases including arthritis). Hemp oil contains the ideal balance of both these fatty acids and brings the body back to optimal levels for each.
Dog skin problems come in many forms and have many causes. The properties of hemp oil makes it effective for treating all skin ailments in dogs.
Common causes for skin problems in dogs include:
- Allergies (atopic dermatitis) - In the case of allergies, the immune system is overactive and will flag a non-harmful substance in the body for attack (such as pollen or a particular food). This response creates histamines in the body which makes for itchy skin. Like humans, dogs can be allergic to a never-ending list of things that can cause skin allergies (atopic dermatitis). Substances that commonly elicit an allergic skin reaction in dogs include pollen, dust and mites, mold spores, fleas and ticks, dog allergies to food and environmental substances frequently associated with asthma.
- Anxiety - Psychotic disorders such as anxiety can cause a dog to scratch, lick or bite certain areas of their body thus causing skin damage. Improving your dog’s mental well being can reduce skin problems and irritations.
- Parasites including fleas and ticks - Infections caused by parasites and other organisms can create uncomfortable skin issues.
Where to get hemp oil for dog skin health
Not all hemp oil for dogs is created equal. You’ll want to make sure you are getting only the highest quality hemp oil because it is safer for your dog, more effective and thus, more bang for your buck. High quality and high strength hemp oil for dogs is extracted from male stalks and leaves of the cannabis sativa plant, meaning its medicinal qualities are more potent. A specialized spray nozzle is the best option for dogs so that you can apply it either topically or orally. You can get it here.
How to apply hemp oil for dog skin health
Hemp oil for dogs does not contain any toxic or psychoactive compounds such as THC. So it can be used safely and liberally--it is not possible to overdose on hemp oil for dogs. The best way to give hemp oil to your dog is in the form of a hemp oil for dogs spray bottle. This way you can apply hemp oil both orally and topically. It is recommended to experiment administering hemp oil to your dog both orally and topically and see what works best for their skin and health.
To administer hemp oil orally, spray hemp oil over your dog’s food or directly into their mouth. Hemp oil for dogs effectively works from the inside-out, so getting the oil into their system is always a good idea. However you decide to administer hemp oil to your dog, first try a regular regimen of oral ingestion. Consistently administering adequate doses of hemp oil for dogs helps to prevent skin problems before they start.
Hemp oil for dogs can be applied directly to dog skin onto lesions, sores, dry patches and other skin issues. Hemp oil is excellent at soothing itchy and irritated skin and can be applied directly to provide immediate relief. A specialized spray nozzle is ideal for applying hemp oil to dog skin.
Honestly, with how common dog skin issues are, you would think hemp oil for relief of dog skin issues would be taught in school.
Disclaimer: These statements have not been evaluated by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Information contained or made available through the ColoradoDog website is not intended to constitute or substitute for legal advice or veterinary advice.
Leave a comment